Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Father's Day Without Dad

Ginger, I just watched the DVD you sent out for Father's Day. Tho' it made me sad, I really enjoyed it. I put off watching it because I wasn't sure if I would laugh or cry. However, it made me smile quite a bit along with a few tears. I know we watched it already at your house but I had fun watching it again. Wasn't Dad a funny looking kid? And did ya notice how skinny he use to be in high school. I think he weighed a mere 140 lbs. forever. I guess he bulked up when he started working so dang hard . . . he gained almost 50 lbs. over the years - all muscle of course. Truthfully, he was so strong - strong physically, strong mentally, strong spiritually. We'll never know how strong he was emotionally because he was so private . . . . Did everyone get one of these DVD's? Because it is a super way to remember Dad. Guess we could have added that picture of him in his LandCruiser. Or the one of him when he and the boys went caving in the snow! Do we have a picture of his garden? I wish I had a picture of the garden he had in Boerne on our 12 acres. It was so huge . . . I remember Sarah was the only one who would go pick green beans. I would be so mad when more green beans or whatever was brought into the house . . . because that meant I had to so something with it - and it was too much for us to eat before it went bad. Once Dad grew black beans and we dried them. They unfortunately gave us flatulence so badly we had to throw them all away. (look that word up . . .) The song "When I Get Where I'm Going" - I love that. Did you all listen to the words. How perfect is it! I do wish Dad would drop us a note - or give us a call just to check in once in awhile. I miss him tons. There just isn't anyone like him . . . as near as I can tell . . . here on this earth or anywhere. Not that I have been looking. But you luckily remember the good times, the sweet memories, and the love you feel from someone who is gone (gone only from "our" sight). I'll try to lose some weight before I see dad again. . . there might be a lot of hot women where he is and surely he is noticing them - especially if they are blonde. Do you know the story of dad and i in the grocery store? We went to the store and he went one way and I went the other with our separate lists. As I passed by an aisle I noticed a really great looking woman (blonde of course) looking at the canned goods - I passed on by . . . then thought "hmmm" and I went back and sure enough, Dad was there helping her find something. yeah right. I told him "oh brother, had she been fat and ugly you would have said 'i don't know anything' . . . . he of course denied saying he would certainly help anyone who asked for help in the grocery store. uh huh. i believe that. Dad was one funny guy - lucky us to have had him. I hope you know how very much Dad loved all of you. Of course you know that. Of course you do. love mom p.s. but I'm pretty sure I was his favorite wife.

6 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks Mom...thanks A TON! cry baby over here in gilbert. :P But i guess crying is healthy right? I, like the rest of the siblings i am finding out, just ignored the fact that Sunday was Father's Day...easier to deal with it that way. I miss calling Dad...when i am lonely and frustrated with life, I miss his consuling encouraging words. I wish he would drop us a note or a card too. Let me know if you get one and i'll share mine with you too. :P Dad is nice to everyone...but your right, especially the blondes, Sister Black comes to mind. :) But she was just a really nice lady too.

Sarah's Nonsense said...

It's alright Mom, there's always hair dye. That lady was probably a brunette originally. I can't wait to watch my DVD. I haven't seen it yet. I'll have to remember to grab it tomorrow! It sounds really great. You and Dad were both great. Love you! See you tomorrow.

A Diary of A Mother to An Unruly Kid said...

I never had the opportunity to meet him but I see how he raised and help build your family. He'd be proud of all of you. I wish I could say I understand how difficult its been but I'd be lying. I am sure he tries to send notes when he can, might just be hard to see during a busy day! (maybe even to send)! It's good to read about him from you all, makes me feel like I could know him!

McDonald Army Brats*** said...

pretty sure you were his favorite wife? Are you kidding me? Didn't you read what I put on the Caller Times article about dad? let me remind you......I loved watching you and dad being in love. I loved watching the way yall looked at each other. I knew growing up that is the kind of love I would look for in a spouse. Yall kept your love alive, and young. I absolutely loved when dad asked me where you were, and I said she is in the living room, do you want me to go get her? He said no, just tell her forever and infinity. That will forever bring tears to my eyes of happiness. It always brought me such security and comfort and love watching how much yall love each other. love ya katy

Becky said...

"He said no, just tell her forever and infinity. "

What is that? i have never heard this story? more details please.

Texas Country Girl said...

i think katy is talking about when dad was sick - one of the things he would say to me was his answer to my question "do ya love me" andhe would say "to infinity and beyond" . . . i don't know, maybe she is talking about before . . .