Sunday, July 8, 2007

Pondering Dad . . .

I was just thinking today about Dad. And I wanted all of you to know that I loved him very much. And it is hard to imagine that I am here without him. We were together since we were 14. But carry on I must, because I have yet to complete my mission here. A lady at church was sharing how her husband was bedridden for 10 months before he died and how her kids all came on the same day, unknowing that that would be the day he died and they would be there for their mom. It just got me thinking about that last 6 months of Dad's life from June 14 - til Dec. 6. It wasn't very long thank heavens . . . Dad was still doing OK after he got out of the hospital in June - through July and most of August. September was not good, nor October. nor November. But how blessed we all were to be able to be with him. Really - think about it. I do not remember ever praying for Dad to be made well. But that we would all be comforted and be made strong to stand up to whatever happened. Perhaps, deep inside I knew. And I'm sure you all know this but I wanted you to know that Dad was never afraid . . . he simply asked me a few different times some very vague questions . . . searching for the answer to "will my family be ok" - will they remember what I have taught them - will they remember to stay strong in the gospel - have I done enough here on earth to carry them through - all the way to the Celestial Kingdom so we will all be together again? I remember once in the hospital, probably in late Ocober, or early November - he was trying to eat breakfast . . . to please me. Sitting in the recliner. He stood up and gave me the best hug ever . . . and said to me "I wonder who it is that is pulling me to the other side . . . and I wonder if they know what they are getting?" We may never understand while we are here on the earth . . . but I have no doubt that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us . . . and Dad is definitely close by. I feel it with all my heart. If you cannot feel it. . . then you are not letting it happen. Because I know Dad would not abandon us . . . if we need him, he will be with us. Pretty much, the closer we are to Heavenly Father, the more like Christ we are . . . the close to Dad we are. Because that's who he is near. Wow. What a thought. Love you all.

11 comments:

McDonald Army Brats*** said...

Thanks mom. I know that dad has comforted me non stop. Especially since Pres has been gone. Dad said I wouldn't be stressed beyond what I can handle, so I just need to work harder and as they say in the army "suck it up".

Sarah's Nonsense said...

It is strange how it all seems to go in certain directions at certain times and you don't realize exactly what's going on while it's happening, but it all works out in the end.

Texas Country Girl said...

hmmm. what did you say really, sarah?

Becky said...

that was sort of confusing sarah. :P haha! Thanks for the post mom. I miss Dad's calls and get sort of bitter about it but like you said it is something i need to work on...there is a way to be close to him i just have to put myself in the right place. Thanks. :)

A Diary of A Mother to An Unruly Kid said...

Wish I knew him but I'm learning through you guys :o)

Don and Sandy said...

That was really nice Jeanie. Gives me something to think about. You have been a great example to me . I want to be as stoic as you seem to be. Sounds like you have made a nice home for yourself and are having good time with your family

Ned and Erin + kids said...

why you gotta make me cry in the middle of the school computer center? totally true. i know pops is killing it in the spirit world as a greenie missionary!!!! from ned

Ned and Erin + kids said...

why you gotta make me cry in the middle of the school computer center? totally true. i know pops is killing it in the spirit world as a greenie missionary!!!!

Sarah's Nonsense said...

I totally understand what you're saying about the school computer center. Sometimes reading your emails and all can get a bit awkward there, can't it? So...my enigmatic post earlier in its basic simplicity meant...everything will be fine because there's nothing else to do. I supppose...if you want to put it that way.

Ginger John said...

That was really sweet mom. I don't feel as if dad abandoned me at all. I feel his love often and I know my kids do to. It's amazing really that we can be "made whole" again even though such a traumatic thing for each of us has occurred. I know I will get to hug my daddy again someday and that gets me thru the rougher moments. Again thanks for sharing. Sure do miss my mommy and wish I could give you a hug. I guess it will have to wait til tomorrow.

Ginger John said...

Ned where is your blog? Get with the times man!? :-) This coming from the slacker blogger!! ;)