Saturday, March 8, 2008
The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
I am currently "reading" this book, The Artist's Way. I put "reading" in quotations because it really is a 12 week journey. Right now I am on week four. It has been interesting and eye opening. I am rediscovering who I am. It's easy to get 'lost' when you're a mother - Sara
I found this book on Sara Matheson's blog. It sounds really interesting. All of you guys should try it. Maybe you could find it used on half.com or amazon.com. Here is one of the excercises in the book:
Ask yourself these questions and write down the answers immediately, without pondering too too long.
1. List 5 hobbies that sound fun.
rughooking, photography, carpentry, painting, calligraphy
2. List 5 classes that sound fun.
photography, family history, gardening, tai chi, watercolor, dance (is that 6?)
3. List 5 things you personally would never do that sound fun.
rapelling, whitewater rafting, trip to ireland (?), get a crazy haircut (w/color!), go to fat farm
4. List 5 skills that would be fun to have.
green thumb, ballroom dancing, carpentry and cabinet making, snowboarding, photography
5. List 5 things you used to enjoy doing.
horseback riding, hiking, weekly garage sales, decorating, lunch with friends, dominoes
6. List 5 silly things you would like to try just once.
silly - huh. what's silly? i seriously can't think of anything silly.
It's all about getting to know your real self . . . sometimes we do get lost in our busy lives of nurturing others. Not that nurturing isn't a good thing - it's definitely in the nature of most women. And the rewards of caring for others is truly great. But, when we really know who we are and take time to enjoy ourselves - happiness seeps into our lives. And happiness from within is catching!! This "program of self-discovery" just sounded kind of fun to me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Huh. I've never heard of that book. Sounds like one I'd probably enjoy. I'll have to look around...
"sometimes we do get lost in our busy lives of nurturing others." are you reading my mind or what! Hard day today...didn't even get to shower. I always heard mothers say that when I was younger, and thought to myself...seriously you couldn't find five minutes in your day to shower and get dressed?! NOW I UNDERSTAND!
Post a Comment