Friday, May 8, 2009

"A Good Mother . . ."




I remember my mother putting on my socks when i was little. She very gently put them on and then smoothed them with her hand so that there would not be any wrinkles or bumps. Now that's a good mother. I don't remember my mom every being rushed . . . . I remember that my mom was almost always home when I got home from school. I remember my mom wore an apron when she was in the kitchen cooking and working. My mom rarely yelled at me, I cannot remember a time but I'm sure it must have happened a few times. My mom let me play in the dirt with one of her kitchen silver spoons and a cup with water. When I played with my tea set I remember my mom gave me oat flakes to use as pretend food. It didn't taste very good I remember. My mom was incredibly patient with me. Once when I was old enough to know better, I got my curling iron stuck in my hair and I was late for work. I yelled at Mom to "come help right now!" She dutifully came and quietly removed the tangled hair from the curling iron, and then quietly went back to the kitchen to finish fixing MY breakfast. Sweet Mom. I have such good memories of my childhood . . . a different time and place. I could play outside until dark with the neighborhood gang. I went trick-or-treating with friends not parents. My Mom was not one to worry but instead thought all was well in the world. Mom loved being a homemaker and later in life, working with my Dad in the family business. Mom was a great example for me when I got married and started a family. The things she taught me have carried me through all of the ups and downs in life. I remember once calling Mom and whining about having endless laundry with seven little kids and a hard working husband. She was silent for a few seconds . . . then said to me "you know, I have never had seven children, and I think you are doing just fine." She did mention that if I didn't have so many clothes the laundry pile could not get so big! Duh!!! That was very helpful - I pared down our wardrobes and guess what! it helped the laundry pile dwindle. My Mom never criticized me or our little family. Even when we joined the LDS church, she and my Dad were very supportive. Mom was beautiful inside and out. All the "in-laws" loved her. She was kind to everyone tho' protective of her family. Once when she was working in the store at lunchtime, a big young man came in and picked up a VCR and started out the door. The salesman went in Mom's office and told her about it and to call the police. Mom jumped up from her desk (at age 65) ran out the front door, yelled at the young man to get back in the store and return that VCR right now! He did return it , and then left. The police came and took the details. They told my Mom that often times criminals are fatherless and answer only to their strong mothers. . . . interesting. So many stories. I loved my Mom with all my heart. She passed away in 2002, having suffered from Alzheimer's for five years. We loved her always. She always remembered her family and showed her love even in her illness. Miss calling her and chatting. One day we'll all be together again . . . and laugh and sing and chat . . . and hug!

2 comments:

Margie said...

Jeannie what a tribute to your Mother, she sounded perfect, can't imagine never yelling, hmmmm, probably you never did that., that is part of character isn't it. ha love you miss you,

McDonald Army Brats*** said...

I love that mom. Thanks :) luv u kt