Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mom's Teach Your Little Ones

Picture: Four Dads, all serving in different areas of life. Your Dad - teaching the the spirit world, Papa is probably in Dad's class learning about the gospel, Preston, a Dad serving our counry in Afghanistan, John, Jr. a Dad serving in Iraq -- Jacob still growing up and learning how to be a Dad - Paden, still growing up, learning to be a Mom.

"Pray for Dad" -- I really loved this article. It is part of a Young Women's lesson on sustaining the priesthood. It seems a good idea to "pray for dad" in your home since he is the one who goes out into the world to work and toil so that his family can have their needs fulfilled. When we have our family prayers it is such a good idea to pray for dad in whatever area that is appropriate - and teach our little ones how very important it is to pray for dad everyday. So, Katy, Erin, Sarah, Becky, Ginger, Laura - always remember how special it is to have a priesthood holder in your family and always remember to pray for him! You will receive blessings too as "your" priesthood holder fulfills his calling as "dad and husband" in your homes. Ben - we'll all pray for you too . . . you'll be a dad and husband soon enough. No rush on that. It's a very tough job. Ask any dad/husband . . . ! We women give alot but we expect alot too, right girls!! Just one of my random posts for Sunday. Here's the article:


“The first time [I came] to the Salt Lake Tabernacle for a general conference of the Church I was awed by the immensity of the building, but even more by the room-filling presence of the General Authorities who were assembled there.

“In my growing-up years, many of them had visited our small branch in Montana. We had no television, nor could we receive conference on the radio. So we looked forward to each visit as a special blessing. They had, it seemed to me, a power and faith above other men.

“Then on [that] April day … I discovered one source of a General Authority’s strength.

“I was seated with the six children of Elder Ezra Taft Benson, one of whom was my college roommate. My interest heightened when President McKay arose and announced the next speaker. I watched respectfully as Elder Benson, whom I had not yet met, walked toward the microphone. He was a big man, well over six feet tall. He was a man with a Ph.D., a man internationally known as the United States Secretary of Agriculture and a special witness of the Lord, a man who seemed serene and sure, one who had addressed audiences throughout the world. Suddenly a hand touched my arm. A little girl leaned toward me and whispered urgently, ‘Pray for Dad.’

“Somewhat startled, I thought, ‘This message is being passed down the row, and I am to pass it on. Shall I say, “Pray for Elder Benson”? Shall I say, “You’re supposed to say a prayer for your father”?’ Sensing the immediate need to act, I leaned over and whispered simply, ‘Pray for Dad.’

“I watched that whisper move along the row to where Sister Benson sat, her head already bowed.

“Many times since that day I have remembered that message—Pray for Dad, the patriarch of the home. Pray for him as he serves as district president or home teacher. Pray for him when he becomes executive secretary of a civic group, when his business flourishes, or when he takes a cut in salary. Pray as he gives counsel in family home evening. Pray for Dad who works long hours so that Jerold can go on a mission and Diane can go to college. Pray for him as he speaks in sacrament meeting or gives Mother a blessing that she might be made well again. Pray as he baptizes William or gives a tiny, newborn baby a name and a father’s blessing. And in the evening, should he come home tired or discouraged, pray for him. Pray for Dad in all that he might do—the small things and the great.

“As years have passed, general conferences have come and gone, and each time President Benson has stood to speak, I have thought, ‘His children, who are scattered across the continent, are united now in prayer for their father.’

“And I have come to believe that the brief message that passed along the row … years ago is the most important message a family can share. What extraordinary power and faith any man can have to meet the daily challenge of his life if somewhere in the world his daughter or son is whispering, ‘Pray for Dad’ ” (Elaine S. McKay, “Pray for Dad,” New Era, June 1975, p. 33).


1 comment:

McDonald Army Brats*** said...

hmmm that was an awesome one too mom. hmmm i don't even know how fast my thoughts were jumping and then I thought wow I know dad comforts me a lot for me to be able to do the many things I do, and then I thought hmmm I wonder if dad gets tired of comforting me,,,then I thought nope...NEVER! :) k it's late and maybe that didn't make any sense, but it did in my head and that's what counts :) luv ya kt